CRST Expedited is a part of the CRST International brand. The division employs more than 3,500 drivers, making it one of the largest driver fleets in the industry. As its name suggests, CRST Expedited focuses on making quick deliveries. The company boasts that it can travel 1,100 miles in 24 hours thanks to its team drivers. Currently, the division services the lower 48 states as well as Mexico. Long haul and short haul shipments are available as well as CRST van expedited services.
If you’re considering a career with CRST Expedited, here’s what you need to know about your career options and pay.
CRST Expedited Training
If you’ve yet to earn your CDL, CRST can help you get there. The company trains thousands of drivers each year through their own training facility. They also partner with several independent training schools throughout the country.
Classes start every week and typically last between two and four weeks. Approval for the program will be based on your criminal, driving and work history.
Tuition is $6,500, which will give you top-of-the-line training, a higher wage when you graduate and a generous sign-on bonus.
If you don’t have the money to pay for training, CRST will cover your tuition costs in exchange for a 10-month commitment. On top of that, the company will pay for two meals a day during your training and a $40/week stipend.
If you’re a former truck driver, CRST has a training program for you, too.
Once you graduate and obtain your license, you’ll attend orientation, which will last four days. The orientation program will prepare you for training out on the road. Once you complete the program, you’ll be paired with a Lead Driver and will begin your on-the-job training.
Currently, the Expedited division hires:
- Contract students: If you choose to have CRST cover the cost of your driving school tuition, you’ll start out as a contract student.
- Recent graduate: Recent graduates are also welcome into the CRST family.
- Experienced drivers: Been in the trucking industry for a while? CRST hires experienced drivers who can quickly move up to Lead Drivers. Lead Drivers help train new recruits.
- Lease purchase drivers: If you’re an owner operator, CRST will also be happy to hire you. The company also offers a Lease Purchase Program that lets drivers become their own bosses.
Lease Purchase Program
CRST Expedited offers a $0 down Lease Purchase Program. The program is designed to maximize profit and help you get into the mindset of being a small business owner. Low payments are offered and a nice sign-on bonus as well.
If you decide to participate in the program, you’ll be entitled to:
- Consistent home time.
- Top-of-the-line equipment.
- 80% drop-and-hook and 99% no-touch freight.
- First-rate safety program, including CRST’s famous driver-decision shutdown policy.
CRST also works with owner operators – both solo and team drivers. The company offers:
- Reduced fuel pricing.
- Tire discounts.
- Maintenance support.
- 80% drop-and-hook and 99% no-touch freight.
- Top-rate safety program, including CRST’s famous driver-decision shutdown policy.
- No forced dispatch.
- The longest average miles for teams in the industry.
As you can see, there are many career opportunities at CRST Expedited for both inexperienced and veteran truckers. The company also offers some of the highest pay rates in the industry and excellent benefits.
CRST Pay and Benefits
Whether you’re a new driver or experienced, CRST offers competitive pay and benefits. The Expedited division also offers a sign-on bonus for every type of driver.
- Contract students: $40 per week while in school.
- Recent graduates: $1,500
- Experienced drivers: $1,500
- Lease purchase drivers: $500
Drivers can expect to collect their bonuses within 12 months of signing on.
One thing that most CRST Expedited reviews mention is the company’s high pay rate. Both experienced and first-year drivers are offered some of the most competitive pay rates in the industry.
Along with your sign-on bonus, you’ll also receive:
- $100 fee for your Hazmat application
- Up to $500 in bonuses if CRST hires someone you referred
- Upfront pay for drug screening, physical and transportation to orientation
Miles are paid for whether you’re truck is loaded or empty.
CRST doesn’t reveal their exact pay rate for Expedited drivers. According to Glassdoor, drivers earn $35,843 on average, or $2,674 a month. Keep in mind that this an average, so some drivers may earn more or less depending on experience level and whether or not they opted for company-sponsored CDL training.
The company does provide a maximum weekly payout and yearly salary on their website. Here’s the pay rate break down for each level of experience:
- Experienced drivers: Earn up to $72,800 a year or $1,400 a week as an experienced driver.
No averages are given for recent grads or student drivers. However, you can expect to earn somewhere close to the average listed above. Student drivers may earn less.
One thing that should be noted is that CRST really does value their veteran drivers and new employees with experience under their belt. They offer pay for all occasions, including layovers, vacation, drop-offs and more. They also offer guaranteed home time of one day off for every week you spend out on the road. The home time guarantee is also available to recent grads, so all drivers can maintain a healthy home/work balance.
And if you have adequate experience in the industry, the company may ask you to become a Lead Driver, in which case you’ll be training recent grads and students.
CRST Expedited offers drivers more ways to earn money through their referral program. Drivers who successfully recruit new drivers will earn bonuses between $300 and $3,000. The amount you receive will be based on experience level.
- Student/No experience: $300
- Recent graduate: $500
- Experienced driver: $1,000
- Experienced team: $3,000
In addition to high pay rates, CRST also offers great benefits to drivers. These benefits are offered to all company drivers whether they work in the Expedited division or for CRST Malone. These benefits include:
- Medical coverage starting from your first day on the job through Blue Shield PPO.
- Dental and vision coverage.
- Disability and accident insurance.
- Paydays twice a week.
- 401(k) retirement plan after working with the company for 90 days.
- Free life insurance.
- Paid vacation time.
- Per diem tax benefit.
- Online access to payroll.
Another benefit to working with CRST Expedited is that their fleet has hundreds of newer trucks with late-model equipment. That means you’ll be driving newer rigs and run into fewer problems when you’re out on the road.